What to do When a Teacher Gets Political?

Jackson O'Malley, Staff

In today’s political climate where America is as polarized as ever when the nastiness of today’s politics seeps its way into the classroom what are you supposed to do? Maybe it’s your crazy socialist English teacher ranting about intersectional feminism and how she doesn’t like “the orange man”. It could also be your MAGA loving hardcore conservative teacher who definitely “isn’t a racist”. What are you supposed to do when your teacher says something that directly conflicts to your morals and worldview. I don’t have the answer, but I may have a few solutions.

Solution 1: Publicly confront them-

Make a big scene, stand up from your desk, and lay out some serious “facts and logic” so that you can epically own that big dumb teacher of yours. They’ll be so taken aback by your outstanding intellect that they’ll stutter over there words and look like a tool in front of the entire class, maybe even give you an A in the process. Then you slowly bow your head, and everybody claps.

Image result for student destroys feminist teacher with facts

Solution 2: Quietly talk mad smack about the teacher to the kid next to you-

Really get nasty, call them all sorts of names and silently debunk everything they say. If the kid next to you agrees with the teacher, talk to the kid on your other side. If both kids next to you can’t stand you, talk smack in your head while you make rigid eye contact with the teacher, they’ll sense the disdain and fear what you could do if you spoke up.

Image result for kids gossiping in class

Solution 3: After class, respectfully disagree with them and explain why-

Now I know I’m not supposed to give my opinion, but this solution is the weakest by far, but as a journalist, it’s my duty to share it with you. Nicely tell them why you think they may be wrong so that you can foster a good discussion. Maybe even mention that it’s not appropriate for the teacher to let their political beliefs into the classroom. Afterward, you both may respect each other a little more because we’re all humans with a right to an opinion and should treat each other as such.

Image result for Student and teacher shaking hands

Solution 4: Just ignore it like an adult-

Ya who cares what a teacher says you’ll forget about it in a week. If they’re wrong, let them be. You’re too cool to care.  The teacher is in the wrong for alienating their students, not caring takes away their power.

If you follow any of these steps you’re both my hero and a moron at the same time. If you do this, don’t say I told you to do it. In reality, the third and last option are both good choices but not nearly as fun.

Image result for cool kid stock photo