Spanish Class at Tahoma: ¿Necesario o no?

Should Tahoma require students to take a foreign language for graduation?

Nolan Peters, Writer

Tahoma High School debuted its 8-period schedule last year, coinciding with the opening of the new building, and with those new classes come higher credit requirements for students. Although seniors are only required to earn 25 credits to graduate – 27 for juniors – sophomores and freshmen are required to earn 29. Two of the four new required credits have been assigned to foreign languages, meaning that underclassmen now have to take at least two years of those classes.

Students in Alex Hipolito’s 4th-period College Spanish class are hard at work taking a test; Senior Hitesh Boinpally and junior Elizabeth St. John have their work finished and await further instruction.

At Tahoma, Spanish is by far the most popular language; 5 teachers offer Spanish classes, while French and ASL are offered by 2 teachers each. Señor Alex Hipolito teaches numerous Spanish classes and teaches the most difficult one; College Spanish. Students taking this class must take at least two years of Spanish as a prerequisite. Despite the class not being required for graduation, seniors Austin Freeman and Rylan Ellis opted to take the class anyway.

Both students cited an enjoyment of Spanish as a language, as well as the opportunity to be taught by Hipolito, as influences. Ellis seemed to mainly have ambitions for college; when asked why he took the class, Ellis stated, “College credit!” Freeman also cited college ambitions, but he stated the first and foremost took the class because of his love of the language. Stating that “you only live once,” he explained his desire to be fluently bilingual in the future.

Señor Hipolito had a similarly optimistic view; he believes that Spanish is important because of the opportunity to not only learn a new language but, to be immersed in the culture while remaining here in Maple Valley. Although some may point to a decrease in college Spanish courses being held this year as a sign of decreasing interest, Hipolito explained that his classes are simply more full this year so not as many periods are held. He loves Spanish as a language and believes that the new credit requirement is a no-brainer.

Other students have a less optimistic view on foreign language classes in Tahoma. One of these students is freshman Alex Lanphere, who has not yet taken a foreign language class and has little desire to do so; however, she concedes that it could “definitely be beneficial if you’re looking to get into a higher career” where Spanish is necessary. It seems that the counseling office has accounted for this; they will generally make an allowance for graduation requirements based upon the post-high school plan chosen by a student. However, should students still be taking these classes, regardless of any requirement?