Prom On a Budget: 5 Ways To Have Fun Without Breaking the Bank

Francesca Huser, Writer & Editor

Prom is a right of passage for many people, especially in an involved school like Tahoma. But, this momentous occasion can be spendy and leave the memories faded and stressful. So, here’s 7 ways to make your prom a little more budget friendly, without taking away any of the fun stuff!!

Outfits:

1- Shop the sales, thrift, or consider renting before buying! 

Prom dresses and/or tuxedos can range from $170 to $2100, and when it comes to dresses and tuxes, the earlier you buy, the better. Shopping sales during the “off-season” will save you the stress (and spendings) of a last-minute purchase. You can also browse your local consignment shop for dresses and dinner jackets, if a full tuxedo isn’t your style. But buying new isn’t the only option. There are tons of fashion-forward sites like Rent the Runway that offer designer brands at super discounted prices. 

1. Repurpose a friend’s or family member’s formal wear.

What if we told you that you could wear a vintage outfit to your prom, free of charge? All it takes is a generous friend or family member to give you their gently-used prom attire (and maybe a good tailor). Repurposing a dress or suit is a great way to have a blank canvas, and you can dress it up or down in your own style!

Pre Prom:

1. DIY Salon and corsages.

Having some bonding time with friends getting ready for prom can be a great memory! Just invite your girlfriends over for some pre-party tunes and being able to help each other with hair and makeup. While it may be chic to have a date to bring flowers for you, making your own can also be beneficial so it always matches your dress!

1. Food and a chauffeur at home! 

While it may be tradition to go to a fancy dinner beforehand, just ordering a pizza for your friends to refuel could save so much time, effort, and of course money! Also because of these teens being able to drive, carpooling and having friends chip in for gas money can be way easier than renting a limo for 20 minutes of your day. Work smarter and not harder!

Post Prom:

1. Keep the afterparty low key.

Honestly when you look back at high school, you’ll remember your tight group of friends not everyone in general. So, my advice is to invite some close friends to your house afterwards, to chillax and talk about the night. This would be a great binding time and not have to worry about being perfect and not tired. The best conversations happen at this time.

All in all, prom is the “night of nights”! It’s a night to remember so whatever you decide to do, just have fun and make smart choices!