A Constitutional Clash

tahoma’s we the people team takes state in competition at the state’s capital.

Hannah Molnar, Staff

Last weekend, Tahoma’s We the People class took first place at State in Olympia, WA. Students arrived the night before, enjoyed pizza as a team, and got to studying hoping that something they learned the night before may help them in the competition the next day.

Ready by 6:30 am, the We the People students walked to the Washington state capitol building ready to take on questions by attorneys, court judges, and educators.

The We the People class has been working tirelessly even before the school year started. Every Monday, the class meets at 5:30 pm to study and practice for the competition on top of class periods and voluntary power hours on blue days. When asked about how she thought the competition would go, Katarina Zosel smiled nervously, “Whatever happens happens”.

Unit 4 began the state competition for Tahoma with a bang and each unit after gave the same energy and passion for the Constitution. When the judges left the room, Mrs. Wulfing led the audience of parents, We the People alumni, teammates, and Tahoma teachers including Ms. Monn, Mr. Seger and Mr. Rubeck in cheers and applause.

Mrs. Wulfing had this to say about the class: “Tahoma’s We the People Class of 2018 did an absolutely outstanding job at the Washington state competition.  They articulately responded to the aggressive questions of the judges and passionately applied Constitutional principles to current events.  They were thrown all sorts of curve balls and were able to maintain great composure under pressure.  They represented the Tahoma School District with brilliance, great integrity and stellar sportsmanship.  I am so proud of our Constitutional Warriors.  We are thankful for the incredible support from our Tahoma community.  We look forward to proudly representing the Tahoma School District and Washington State at the National Finals the end of April.”