I Moist Ask You a Question

a question for the ages: is water wet?

Chase Beyer

It’s a philosophical issue, but the idea of water being wet is one that brings to mind thoughts of blue/white and black/gold dresses.

Chase Beyer, Staff

There comes a time in any human’s life where one has to stop and consider the deep questions in life: why am I here? What is my purpose? What comes after we die? And, is water wet?

I have come here to explain how water is not wet. Water is not wet because the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines Wet as; “Consisting of, containting, covered with, or soaked with liquid.” Therefore water cannot be wet. Water is not wet because, as the Merriam-Webster Dictionary says it must be covered in a liquid. If water is poured on a paper towel, then that paper towel is wet. If water is poured on a counter, the counter is wet because is covered with water. But, if water is poured on water, it just adds to the water and does not make the water wet.

“Water is not wet, it cannot be wet, but it can make other items wet by coming in contact with it,” said Tyrell Hardtke, a science teacher at Tahoma High School. That should be enough evidence. One of life’s mysteries solved. But, what if there’s more to it?

I asked around the school to see what other people have to say about if water is wet or not. “Water is not wet, but it can make other things wet, but water is physically not wet,” said freshman Michael Arend. I agree with Arend’s statement. Water cannot be wet if it is sitting in a cup, the cup becomes wet because it is in contact with water. If you take that cup of water and dump it in the ocean; the ocean does not become wet because it is a body of water and because water was added to yet more water.

If I were to place my hand in a bowl of water, it is not wet until I remove it from the water. When I remove my hand from the water then I see the water trickling off my hand, therefore my hand came in contact with the air after it was soaked in water, it becomes wet, but while in the water it is not wet. So with all these facts and opinions I strongly believe that Water is not and cannot be wet.

Look, I’ve thought about this a lot. It’s a question that has haunted me. I’m just glad now that I’ve solved this problem I can start answering the next unanswerable question.