Claire Philips: moving hearts through her art

a different perspective opens up a new view for claire philips

Emiri Nishizawa, Staff

Senior Claire Philips attends Tahoma High School and is a big part of the art program provided there. Her inspiration to begin her work as an artist was influenced greatly by the many art classes provided at the school. She started taking classes like Beginning to Digital, her sophomore year, which set fire to a passion that would last her throughout her high school life. In addition to digital art, she has taken classes revolving around different forms of art, such as drawing and painting classes. “Being able to use all the different mediums is very interesting,” said Philips. Her dedication to the arts continues as she takes art classes and finds new ways and forms to express herself.

Artists work to express themselves in ways no other people can. Thus, rather than basing her artwork off of other artists, Philips works to develop her own originality for her masterpieces. Her artwork explores intriguing topics including social issues and life experiences, “like birth, death and everyday stuff,” said Philips. Through her artwork, Philip’s hopes to get her point across about these topics that are seen in everyday life.

When asked about something others should know about the art world and being an artist, she replied with something that should be applied daily. “There’s always different points of views. Always different perspectives and new ways to look at everything,” said Philips. This is reflected in her artwork as she explores common concepts from a different view.

While Philips is involved significantly as an artist, she still enjoys hanging out with her friends as any other students attending Tahoma do. When asked about hobbies other than art, she replied: “I like being outdoors, like hiking, also being active.”