Camp Casey

Camp+Casey

Jadee Shea

Jadee Shea

Mar. 31, 2023

5th grade is around that time when you realize school is getting harder, and sometimes boring, which makes it hard to learn a lot of the time.

Camp Casey is a great opportunity for students to learn in a super fun way, there’s tons of experience involved and students are actually interested in learning when they are at camp Casey.

They can learn about biology like certain animals when they visit the marine biology classroom and get to physically see cool sea creatures.

They learn about the environment and plant biology when they go for a hike in the woods and see all the beautiful flowers and plants.

Most of all, they learn about being in a community, advancing socially, and most of the time making new friends. Camp Casey doesn’t just provide educational activities, they show movies and sing campfire songs together or just have times when the campers are allowed to hang out and play.

A huge part of camp Casey for the 5th graders is their counselors, they are the people they can come to when they need anything at all, the counselors watch over the campers and inspire them to reach out of their comfort zone and allow themselves to have more fun.

I remember when I went camping Casey the biggest thing I remember was how awesome my counselors were and how they made me feel comfortable enough to let loose even when surrounded by complete strangers.

Tahoma high school students get the amazing chance to be a counselor for elementary school kids. It’s a super fun time for everyone involved and the hours you serve as a counselor count as community service hours so you’re not only having a great time but you’re also serving the community, which will look great on college applications. Some of my closest friends applied and had only good things to say about camp Casey.

Isabella Donahue, a 10th grader at Tahoma said, “I want to be a counselor because camp Casey was really fun for me, and my counselors were pretty chill which made the couple days even better.” She talks about her counselors’ significance to her enjoyment at the camp a lot throughout the interview, which only shows the huge impact they can have on the campers.

Being a counselor isn’t all about the fun stuff though, you also have responsibilities like watching over the kids and ensuring safety considering you’re gonna be with them the entire trip. Another Tahoma student Spencer Seim says, “The biggest responsibility of being a counselor is making sure the kids don’t get lost, or hurt, basically just making sure they are nice and healthy the whole time.” which is very true, as you can see being a counselor is an amazing opportunity and has educational value for everyone involved.

If you are a freshman, sophomore, or junior I strongly encourage you to apply next year.