Stress over finals

Makayla Saleumsay, writer

It’s about to be the begining of a new semester. Many people are stressed because finals are coming up and it’s about to be weekdays and weekends crammed packed with study guides spending all day and night studying or trying to get your paper in before the due date. Now this is the normal time for many students, especially seniors, to start to have their mentality go downhill from here. After talking to many different people from different grade levels, even the alumni, I have seen similar responses with many grade levels about how they feel. Comparing harder and decent classes, people with harder classes obviously seem to have it more difficult but people with decent regular classes may have it just as hard. 

Many research shows how stressed students are during test days or finals week. 31% of students in the U.S are shown to be more stressed during finlas/midterms week. Being stressed around these times is understandable, staying up late, pulling an all-nighter, studying in other classes when you aren’t supposed to. Every student understands everyones pain and issues even if they are taking AP, Honors, or regular classes. Everyone’s level of school is different. People who are taking Algebra II and Pre-calc can have the same stress level. Research shows that if you are stressed during finals week and haven’t gotten to take a break and been on that grind all night and day is to prioritize your goal one at a time. If you have a final coming up in a couple days, focus on that and not your other clases or take a couple hours on one and a couple hours on the other. “My advice for freshmans since I am a sophomore is that youj should put what you don’t know first and then what you know last. Start taking notes in classes and do some flash cards in the harder class. Do a review on the classes you are really good in and go over everything the night before.” Saleumsay says. 

Alumni Tahoma students have said that “before going to bed read all of your notes and make it stuck in your head, sleeping with those notes will help you remember and ace your classes.” “Having hard classes will obviously mean a hard test and studying will consume your time. My easy classes I like to put last since I know all the things I need to know.” Kaithula says. Scientists have said that being stressed can be fixed, the causes of stress is time managment and organization. “If your teacher has already given you a study guide weeks prior from the date of the test, do it so you can get that out of the way. Take some notes on things you need to review or flashcards of what you know and don’t know so the ones you know you can review and the ones you don’t know can be more focused on.” Brilhante says. It may seem easy if you paint it in your head but in reality we all know it is really difficult and hard to get it done. Being stressed can cause anxiety, depression, and substance abuse. We do not want either of those happening to no one and it’s hard to get through it. 

Want to know how to get through it. Well there is no easy way out and many may seem like there can be. We will always be stressed and not manage our time well even if you are playing a sport. When you have time to get things done, get it done. Don’t sit in your bed and do it from there, find somewhere where you can be motivated and not so sleepy. If you are tired take a break sit and relax, make sure to get a lot of sleep even if you need to stay up all night getting your sleep in, getting to sleep and relaxing your brain can help you cram more information into your brain and also help you remember your notes since you are awake and refreshed. It isnt good if you are running on a couple hours of sleep and trying to stay up for more hours than you slept.