Healthcare for Millennials: Sans birth control

As lawmakers debate the pros and cons of healthcare, young people may face changes

Hannah Molnar, Staff

The Trump Administration is eleven months underway. After numerous attempts in the Senate to pass a health care bill, yet another draft is in the works. However, this time, President Trump is tackling birth control.

Under the Affordable Care Act, birth control is available to hundreds of thousands of women at no cost, the goal being to make birth control a regular benefit of health insurance.

However, lawsuits by priests, nuns, charitable organizations, hospitals, advocacy groups and colleges and universities according to the New York Times, have qualified the President’s stance against universal access to birth control.

If enacted, private corporations will no longer need to spend the funds necessary to provide birth control. Most interestingly, corporations will only qualify for the exemption if they claim “a moral or religious objection.”

This new policy has come under fire as Viagra, a commonly used prescription for erectile dysfunction, will remain covered under the Trump Administration’s health care plan.

As Tahoma students, namely females preparing to enter the workforce, the decisions of the coming months could greatly affect access to birth control. Without insurance, birth control pills can cost “between $160 to $600” annually according to usnews.com. One of the most effective methods of birth control and most cost-effective is the IUD. However, the upfront cost ranges between $500 and $1,000 (usnews.com). With 99% effectiveness, the IUD lasts up to 12 years.

Health care has been a difficult journey for the Trump Administration with surprise votes from Republican senators such as John McCain. Compromise has become imperative for the Administration to pass a bill, however, the economic advantages that cutting birth control have for corporations will most likely keep birth control out of Trumpcare.