Music vs. Mental Health

Sami McCallister, Writer

Music can impact our moods and the outlook people have upon life by the lyrics and intentions the song has.  Most of the different types of music industries, specifically the rock music community, there are ties with drugs and abuse throughout the whole culture. Kurt Cobain who is an American Musician, most famous for his fame in the rock industry for being the star of the popular grunge  band, Nirvana. Cobain was the lead singer, guitarist, and song-writer. He fell into a bad path like many other musicians (Demi Lovato, Macklemore, Stevie Nicks, Elton John, etc.) and he also suffered from chronic stomach pain when he ate which he thought was a sign for him to continue this path. Cobain kept a journal and it was recently published to the public. Within his journal, he said things like, “I decided to use heroin on a daily basis because of an ongoing stomach alignment that I had been suffering from for the past 5 years and its gotten to the point to making me want to kill myself”. Cobain suffered from severe depression and bipolar disorder which all went downhill once these stomach issues began affecting him. Throughout all of his struggles, he got up on stage and performed. The music Cobain wrote and sang had an impact on him, good and bad. The lyrics used in Nirvana’s songs promote drugs and this may have influenced Cobain’s bad decisions. Amari Gilman, a fellow classmate of mine who has been in choir for eight years agrees with the statement, “music can definitely have a massive impact on people’s decisions and life-choices, it has on mine for that matter”. Gilman who is  very talented singer in our community. She sings for the church choir and has represented Tahoma High School. For an English assignment of mine I have created a “Happy Playlist” to turn on when feeling down or feel the mood shift. This is a proven way to boost your mood as you feel it turn negative. Music is a lot more important than we make it out to be, the majority of our society in their day listens to music even if its background music or from the TV not necessarily direct earbuds but even the tiniest bit of music or instruments in the background matters.