Student Spotlight: Kaiya Buffelen – Musician

Stella Barry and Reese Brawley

Growing up, Kaiya Buffelen, a sophomore at Tahoma High School, always had a love for music and singing which snowballed into a future music career during her high school years.

Because of Kaiya’s strong love and passion for music, she decided to start creating her own.

At the age of 15, she has already produced and released music to the world. 

Sometimes it’s a struggle to be a musician nowadays, but Kaiya will always be putting music out there as it’s such a big part of her life. 

“I really started making music because it was always something I loved and felt like I could be good at,” Kaiya states. 

Passion truly comes from deep inside, there’s no question that Kaiya’s motivation has come from her heart and intrinsic mindset. 

Kaiya began taking voice and guitar lessons around the age of 8, little did she know her love for music had only just reached the start line. 

Right now, Kaiya makes music in her free time with no real deadlines, but occasionally schedules paid gigs. 

In the past few years she’s let her creative mind spin, and it opened the opportunity for her to produce singles and EP’s, which you can find on Apple Music, Spotify, and Youtube.

So far, her passion has led her to many stepping stones in the great scheme of the music industry; offering up gigs and creating a true audience.

In Kaiya’s words, she expresses that her favorite gigs are “local ones such as farmers markets and coffee shops as [she] gets a chance to interact with the Maple Valley community and bring the gift of live music to those in the area.”

Although having a music career seems like a dream lifestyle, it comes with its own set of challenges. 

We also asked Kaiya if the process of making music and having gigs is hard to handle on top of school and other things she may have going on.

“Yes, The process of making a song is very time consuming and I’m still trying to find a good way for time management with school and extracurriculars. However, I have recently found a bit more of a balance.” 

We feel like you would need a lot of motivation to create a song.

Another thing we brought up to Kaiya is asking her if she ever feels unmotivated or stressed from making music.

“Yes, I have experienced both writer’s block and burnout, as well as just not feeling motivated to work on anything. Mental health is very important to me so I can have the ability to stay motivated and work on my projects.” 

But all in all Kaiya is just a high school girl trying to make music and figure out how to juggle that with life. 

But make sure to go check out her website with links to her music on spotify, apple music, and youtube!

https://www.kaiyabuffelen.com/