High Schoolers vs. Hall Passes

Hailey Carlton, Journalism Student

High school students should not be required to take hall passes. Students in Tahoma High School are required to take a hall pass for bathroom and nurse purposes and have the restriction of not going to the bathroom ten minutes before the end of class and ten minutes after the start of class. After interviewing two students at Tahoma High School , Ji’mya Miller, and Aiden Thomas, they both agreed that not having to take hall passes would be a good new rule. Also, on a question and answer website called Steam, a person named Mikasa Ackerman stated that they live in Austria. The site stated that in both private and public school systems that none of them had hall monitors or bathroom passes. Many other people on the website also said that they have no requirements for hall passes, although their location were not stated. 

Ji’mya Miller, a junior in Tahoma High School said she takes  at least two times per day.

Upon being asked other questions, Miller agreed that hall passes should not be a requirement for students in Tahoma. 

Miller stated, “I have to wait at least five to six minutes for a hall pass each time I leave the room.”

Miller believes that there should not be a hall pass rule because the school should trust students to go the bathroom and be responsible.

Millers points are agreeable by many students at Tahoma. Miller said that she does not like having to wait when she actually needs to use the restroom.  Aiden Thomas, a freshman at Tahoma High School has similar responses to Miller.

Thomas stated that they take one pass during the day.

This answer, which is very similar to Miller’s can be assumed to be true by many other students around the campus. Thomas responded to the second question very similarly as well. When asked if he often has to wait for a hall pass to come back to the room.

Thomas stated that he does in fact have to, wait for a pass for about two minutes before he is allowed to leave the classroom. If a student does not take a pass then, they can be sent to the office to be disciplined. Thomas agreed, similar to Miller, that it would be nice to not have to carry a hall pass wherever he goes, he said that he would like a new no-pass rule because, “it would be easier for students and teachers.” this is because a student would not have to get permission and interrupt teaching, nor would they have to sit and wait for the pass. Schools need to realize that we are responsible young adults, and we should be given the chance to prove ourselves.