Warming Packages of Words: A Complete Interview with 2022 Journalism on the Best Compliments Ever Received

When a Person catches Glimpse of a Beautiful piece of Your Soul… And Lets You Know.

Adaline McDowell, Journalist

“She always had the best smile” Best Gifts Come in Small Packages - Tidbits

Recently, I had the privilege of seeing my fifth grade teacher, for probably the last time ever, at my younger brother’s celebration of learning. To be short and sweet, he’s not just an unforgettable teacher but an inspiring person as well. He makes everyone around him feel more at ease. He has a nickname for every student who walks through his door and uses finger guns to emphasize a point when he’s in a playful mood (which was almost everyday that I was in his class). He called me by the name of “Smiley.” I didn’t care for the nickname at first, but then it began to grow on me, to the point where I started to notice that I smiled more often and brighter whenever I saw him, and just in general. 

He planted a seed in my character which still grows today; one that inspired me to maintain one of my best qualities. 

There is something so energizing when another person catches glimpse of a beautiful piece of your soul, beyond your appearance, and lets you know.Premium Photo | The crowd enjoys the summer music festival, sunset, the black silhouettes hands up, girl in the center

That being said, as we were wrapping up our conversation, he turned to my parents, as I was stepping out the door, and declared “She always had the best smile.” His simple words made my day, and I didn’t stop smiling for some time after that…

Have you ever had a stranger, friend or family member say something directly to you that made your day? 

Imagine a tingly feeling running up your spine, color flooding into your cheeks and a fresh bounce found its way to your walk. 

These words, phrases and bits of strange flattering language people sometimes spew at us are called compliments. 

Compliments can be as simple as Hey! Nice shirt! These compliments wade into the shallow water of our emotions, while stronger compliments stir something in the deeper grounds of our souls. These are special and genuine kinds of compliments which possess the power to allow ourselves to see us, in a light we would not have dared to see ourselves in, had not someone else came along and shown that light. 

So what do compliments look like? And how can we relearn how to gift and receive these warming packages of words?

I asked peers what was the greatest compliment they’d ever received… Here are their responses: 

“God… I don’t even know. One time I was told I would go really far in life, just because of the way I talked to people. *thoughtful pause* That’s just a really nice thing to hear no matter who you are.”  – Kylie Miller, 18. 

“Best compliment? That’s a really good question… ‘I’m really glad I met you.’ That’d probably be it.” – Marcos Nunez, 15. 

“Nice haircut.” (Are you sure?) “That’s the first thing off the top of my head.” – Baylor Black, 17

“If you don’t say your nose-” – Francesca Huser, 16. 

“I was just about to say that!” Katelyn Raybell, 17. 

“Um yeah. The best compliment I’ve ever gotten was when Francesca said my nose was cute. Cause I’ve always been really insecure about my nose.”

“Yes! Your nose is beautiful!”

*Hug

“Oh shoot um. Someone said my voice sounds like warm honey one time… That’s like the most poetic thing someone has ever said to me.” Francesca Husser, 16. 

“I’ve gotten two that have really made me happy, but I’ll pick one. And that’s when people compliment my freckles. I used to hate my freckles.” – Makayla Wells, 15

“Um. Probably someone saying they felt warm around me, and they could like talk to me and stuff.” – Brooklyn Harris, 15. 

“Best compliment someone has ever given me, ever. Let me think… Probably… I could take the basic route but I’m trying to think of one I’d really remember… Probably I’m their role model, that’s one of the best ones.” – Callan Underwood, 17. 

“Oh my gosh… I don’t know. I’ve gotten a lot of underrated compliments. Probably when someone told me I have really pretty eyes. That was nice.” – Madison Forte, 14. 

“Someone complimented my dimple one time.” – Madeline Venzke, 16. 

“Um… I don’t get compliments. (Can you dig deep?)  I get compliments from my girlfriend but I don’t think they count. But she says I have nice eyes.” – Kierian Hoskinson, 16. 

“Just when people tell me I’m charismatic, I just want someone who likes me for who I am- I’m not just a piece of charismatic meat.” – Brenner Culp,  (“18, Regrettably”. )

*Laughs* Sorry I’m just trying to think… Probably that I have really good style. My instagram does not look how I look in everyday life!” – Keimani Leonard

“Hmmm. Uh let me think. Best compliment I’ve ever gotten, probably that they like my outfit or something (friends ridicule him; Landon you must have gotten a compliment on your hair or something) *Probably that I have nice hair.” – Landon Fox, 17. 

“Um. Someone said they liked the shimmer in my eyes.” – Joe Young. 

“You have a very bubbly personality that is appreciated in this room, it does not go unnoticed.” – Adaline McDowell, 15. 

“Um… I’d have to think about that… Probably that I have a nice smile.” – Jenna Hunt, 17. 

“Ummm. Any compliment that has to do with my hair. Cause you know, I dye my hair a lot so I like the compliments (beams).” – Brylee Gianacakos, 15. 

“Um pfft. I have no clue… Some random stranger in the drive through told me I have nice eyes once.” – Jaiden Wright, 18. 

“Oh God. Trying to think right now… Probably the best compliment I’ve ever got. It was from my teacher Ms. Bean and she said that I was very trustworthy and hardworking. She said she trusted me with the sound board, alone.” – CJ Cantu, 18. 

“I don’t think I can think of any.  Yeah I can’t think of any. (- I’ll give you one; I like how you make yourself laugh all the time,  and entertain yourself, watching- what do you watch? ) “Videos”. – Spencer Gordon, 16. 

“That’s a good question… This one dude said I was really smart.” – Lauren Nass, 15. 

“It was eighth grade, and some guy said, and I quote, ‘I haven’t felt love since you’ I felt very special… and then three months later he broke my heart.” – Marifer Gonzalez, 16. 

“Oh my gosh… Um. Uh. I had a co-worker who told me I looked like a young Steve Martin. So that one was nice. I used to work at a restaurant and people used to let me know whoever the heck they thought I looked like, so that was kinda weird… And fun.” – Ben Mast, 29.