A Famous Artist, Right From our Own Hometown!

Francesca Huser, Writer & Editor

Danielle McDowell. Do you know the name? If not, she is the mother of a pretty great freshman here at Tahoma, Addie McDowell. But best of all, she is a well known artist. Let’s dive a bit deeper.

As a kid, she was always deeply interested in art as a hobby. She was always taking art classes and tried her best to learn new styles. As she approached high school and started taking her art more seriously, she found a style she fell in love with in a class one day. Scratch Art. Scratch Art is also known as Artfoil, Foil Art or Engraving Art. It is a creative activity where you can craft a beautiful picture using a scraper tool. Each Artfoil project comes with a scraper tool and a scratch art picture, this is a board that is covered with a black ink layer. 

As an alumni at Tahoma High School, she spent those years perfecting her technique. Which definitely paid off, because she received a full ride to Central Washington University. There, she spent her time with Iris Scott, who you may know as the artist of the bear mural here at the high school.

But before she could fulfill her degree in art, she fell in love and got married. One of her most deafr memories is waiting until her 4 kids fell asleep, and making art late into the evening. She took a few years off from professional art to focus on her family,but now is back in full swing. 

She runs a business selling her art, on a website called https://www.daniellemcdowellart.com/ . She also wrote a children’s book and continues to inspire artists in our community. All in all, she’s a pretty cool woman, and you should check her out!