Tahoma Leads to Success

a variety of new programs and opportunities benefit students

Emiri Nishizawa, Staff

As a student attending Tahoma High School, it’s only natural to defend Tahoma and have pride in our school… right? However, I actually do find attending Tahoma School District an advantage compared to all of my other friends.

Beginning in the 2017-2018 school year, the Tahoma High School has switched to an eight-period schedule. With this two extra periods, students have been able to take more classes that provide many opportunities. For those who take year-long electives, like choir and band, this allows them to take additional electives considering the fact that the students usually take all four core classes and a language class. Some of these extra classes include Oceanography, Biomedical Science, Photoshop, Marketing, Accounting, Floral Design and much more. These classes are usually homework-free, but provide important education that only applies to certain fields of work that a student may want to pursue in the future.

Tahoma has also begun a program that helps students greatly when entering college. The AP Capstone program was brought into Tahoma, making it one of the very few schools that provide the program. The two classes are AP Seminar and AP Research. Within these classes, the students learn to research and present like a college student, preparing them greatly for their future. In addition, by having this class on their high school transcript, it immediately highlights the student when applying for colleges. As a student taking this class, I have already learned new ways to get useful information when researching on a topic, how to work collaboratively and effectively with a group, and presenting information clearly for the audience to understand. AP Capstone is two years for a diploma or certificate, but even taking the Seminar class is a great experience to prepare you for the coming college years. In order to get the diploma, the student must score a 4 or greater on 4 other AP exams, in which Tahoma supports by providing the eight-period program. Though the program is rigorous, it teaches students time management and important skills that many students do not have when entering the college world.

Another way Tahoma supports students as they get ready for college is Power Hour. Power Hour is an hour break that is in the middle of the school day. As well as eating lunch, this is a free time for students, with basic school rules applied. This is also a chance for students to go talk with their teacher or get help. The school district is giving the students an opportunity to use their time as they please, helping them to manage their time smartly. During this time, clubs and activities are also held. This gives a chance for the students without transportation to become part of a club. By being in a club, students are able to interact with those who share similar interests as them. Some of these clubs include Gay-Straight Alliance, Breaking Down the Walls, Programming Club, Fashion Club, and Future Farmers of America. By providing students with extra time in their day, Tahoma students learn both communication and time management, which are important skills to know as an adult.

Overall, the school provides many opportunities for the students to learn skills that are important as they go into adulthood. Compared to many surrounding schools, Tahoma provides the best of classes and options for students to choose from. Thus, Tahoma should keep on providing the students with these advantages as it helps them to succeed in the future.