Sit or Stand? Tahoma Finds a Split in Opinion

Carolyn Crowder, Staff

Photo via Wikimedia Commons under Creative Commons license

Every morning across the nation, students stand up and pledge their allegiance to the United States of America. Tahoma High School is no different. During 2nd and 6th periods, someone comes onto the school-wide intercom saying “now please stand for the pledge.” Without hesitation, almost, if not all students will rise, and mumble the 31 words they have recited since kindergarten. But, do the students stand out of habit, or do they choose to stand because of something else?

Due to the controversy surrounding NFL players kneeling during the national anthem, the idea of standing and saluting the flag has become a politically charged issue, with students finding themselves choosing a side.

In an anonymous poll of Tahoma high school students online, students were asked to explain the reasoning behind why you decide to stand/not stand every day during the pledge of allegiance. There were varied responses to this question. One student said, “The reason why is because I find it respectful to the flag. Yes, it’s weird that we say the same thing every day but to me, it’s the least I could do to people who serve our country. Also, I sorta don’t care if someone sits, it’s their opinion on the matter.”

Another simply said, “Because it’s respectful.”

But, some students had other opinions. One student said, “sometimes I stand, I don’t really care” and another said, “it’s so pointless.”

It seems as if students are somewhat divided. So, why do the majority of students participate in the pledge then? A student that spoke under the condition of anonymity provided some insight into the issue. When asked if she pledged allegiance daily, she answered with “sometimes.” Additionally, she was requested to elaborate on why she sometimes stands and sometimes opts out of it altogether. She responded with “I just don’t get it. How does it prove I’m dedicated to my country? People always asked me why I sat down. I felt so judged.” The personal choice is viewed for some as a political statement.

Perhaps students just don’t want to be judged and don’t want to attract attention, so even if they don’t believe in it, they just do it. For some, it can be easier to stand with others than it is to sit and be separate.

It isn’t just students that are being asked to stand for the pledge. “[The] flag is a symbol of freedom in my opinion. I stand for it every day, it would be wrong in my opinion to judge people for choosing to sit during the pledge,” said Mr. Feist, an associate principal at Tahoma High School.

Maybe, students don’t really care because it is what they have known and have been used to doing their entire school careers. Maybe it is important to others, giving their respects to the nation. Maybe, some stand because they feel as if they will be judged if they don’t. This topic needs to be up for more discussion, rather than being continuously ignored.