Information Around the School

Kaitlyn Farnsworth, Staff

Around Tahoma High School, there are many ways to get information. There are TV monitors that flicker between events, the daily lunch, and our bell schedule. Everyday, they are updated to match what’s happened within the school, keeping students updated.

However, students are unaware of how to find this information. The week of coronation, many people were asking why students were wearing their pajamas. When told it was a spirit week, they were confused, saying they didn’t know about it. “I was confused because nobody really talks about it. Most of my friends didn’t know either,” said sophomore Stephanie Melgoza.

When transitioning to the new high school, the outlets that students received information from changed. It used to be everything important was announced in the morning announcements, so that way you knew when things happened because you heard it. But now they only announce things that impact the entire school, like the cost of homecoming tickets, or whether the senior photo has been cancelled or not. They still have the video announcements, but they only play during lunch, and you have the option to not watch it. “Tv’s are one of the best ways to get information since announcements over speaker can only announce school wide events,” said senior Maxwell Ratsch.

So, where does someone find out about events?

There are multiple TV screens around the school, many on each floor. They are placed in the pod areas, and in the lunchroom and hallway of the first floor. The TV screens show the date, the daily lunch, different sport events happening that week, events during power hour, and much more.

“I don’t really see any information around the school except for posters. But I think they’re putting more effort into announcements and putting information around the school,” said sophomore Mikayla Surprenant. This new form of announcements has been confusing for some, but they have been helpful for others. “The screens are nice and the PA system is better. I don’t think that announcements need to change,” said junior Jessica “Jay” Meyer.

Since this is the first year, announcements and receiving information is a little spotty, but it should improve in the years to come.