Interact Club: Pennies for the Well Project

Francesca Huser, Writer and Editor

Clean water is something that we always take for granted. We use it many times throughout the day and don’t even think twice. It doesn’t affect us. So, the Interact Club here at Tahoma created a project called “Pennies for the Well”

“Pennies for the well project is a way for us to save money to give to a charity that is surrounded by giving water to those in need in Africa.” Says sophomore Marifer Gonzalez. “It’s a way to get the students together supporting a similar cause, which is clean water for all.”

All of the proceeds from this event went to the charity for people in Uganda and other more rural areas of Africa.

During Power Hour A and B, a booth was set out near the FRC in a way to promote this event. At first, it didn’t flourish, but after others learned that candy and MOD Pizza was involved, they were glad to participate. There were games on how much water we use a day, and taffy for participating.

But, the thing that brought all of the students to light was the MOD pizza. On February 20th, all the proceeds from MOD pizza were given to our project, and that worked extremely well for students to support without having to be fully in the club. 

As of today, all of the proceeds have been sent to the “Pennies for the Well” project, promoting more than 57 gallons of water for people in need.

How will you help those in need? How will you be grateful for the things you take for granted?