Did Online Learning Work For You?

Jenna Hunt, Writer

On Friday March 13th, 2020 students were told there would be no school for 2 weeks. COVID-19 cases were rising in Washington. This left people wondering was this really a two-week thing or would quarantine be longer than we could ever think?

Students ended up being sent home for the remainder of the year and were expected to do the remainder of their learning online. Due to COVID-19 students had to change their whole learning style, but how exactly did online learning during COVID-19 impact students? 

“It didn’t work well. It was very unmotivating and distracting which made it very hard to be successful.” Said Francesca Huser who was still in 8th grade at the beginning of Covid. The first year for online learning, students were expected to complete their assignments online, there was one day dedicated for each subject and students would work on the assignment the day it was dedicated to. Kaytlin Raybell, a freshman at the time, concurs with Jenna, “COVID-19 impacted online learning for me in a positive way because I am an independent learner,” 

Online learning worked well for students that are independent learners and can be accountable for their own work.

Other students disagree, “online learning impacted me in a negative way because I did not get the help I needed doing school at home,” said Rory Roberts who was a Sophomore and is now a Senior. Online learning did not work well for students not receiving help they need by teachers, students cheating on tests and falling asleep in class.

I have found that online learning works best for students that are self directed. If you are not self directed, online learning will be a struggle for you.

The problems from online learning that led to today are cheating on tests and falling asleep in class. Now that we are back and taking eight classes, our struggles are compounded. We now have to socialize, sit still in a classroom and wear a mask all day.

Online learning might not have been perfect, but now we dealing with the quick relearning what it means to be a student with a full schedule.