Mask Mandates Playing Out In Tahoma High School

Brylee Gianacakos, Staff

At Tahoma High school, we have an issue with the current mask mandate and how teachers are enforcing it. Students aren’t wearing masks properly and many teachers don’t speak out about it.

The goal of the mask mandate is to help control the spread of COVID-19, if the masks aren’t worn right, the goal is not being met and is therefore irrelevant. If teachers aren’t enforcing the mandate and are letting students have the mask worn in an improper fashion then I don’t see why the mask mandate is even in place. Don’t get me wrong, I completely understand and agree with the mask mandate. I want the mask mandate to be in place because they keep everyone safe, but on the other hand, I don’t understand why they would have the mandate in place while not enforcing it.

To healthy and vaccinated students, this may be a bit of an annoyance, but the point of masks is so that people who are unhealthy or have weaker immune systems don’t die or suffer long lasting health issues. Even if it may be uncomfortable on your face the whole day or even if you think it’s taking away your rights, wearing a mask is helping the community and that’s what is truly important. Masks are helping people and saving lives, there are very few reasons that would make sense for someone not to wear a mask. That being said, why isn’t the school enforcing it?

Well, I think I know why. The school is already in a tight spot for making masks required since parents have complained. The school actually forcing students to wear a mask could stir up some more serious problems between parents and administrators. While I don’t think that’s a good excuse, I do understand that there could be possible legal issues if parents take it that seriously. I think it’s not completely the teachers’ fault because they are in a tough position but I also think that student safety should be more important than anything else. 

The chances of the mask mandate changing anytime soon are very low because of how “controversial” and difficult the topic is. I do hope that the people who wear masks properly continue to wear masks. I hope anyone who doesn’t currently wear a mask properly sees that it’s not just about their safety, but the safety of their community and peers as well.

The more people wearing masks properly, the longer we stay in-person at THS. We already have positive cases at our school, so please keep that in mind when choosing to wear it under or over your nose!