What Do Tahoma Students Think About The Future Ready Program?

Dominik, Jasinkas

Tahomas future ready program prides itself in preparing kids for the future with multiple lessons and lectures about their future, they even provide extra support for students who need it. Although it may seem like their future ready program is the real deal students seem to disagree and make mostly negative remarks about it.

Three students were interviewed about the future ready program and future readiness and three out of the three students who were interviewed had all said no when asked if the future ready program was useful, going on to say the program isn’t memorable and kids won’t apply what they learned.

Those same students had also all answered no to the question “Do you think Tahoma students are as future ready as the school would like you to think?”, with the exception of Nathan Hagen, Tahoma High School junior, who said that “once you throw most students out into the real world they most likely won’t know what to do right away, and have to take things into their own hands”.

The future ready program isn’t a bad idea or completely lack luster, it helped Tahoma High School junior, Brooke Bradberry find a job. Bradberry said “The one thing that the future ready lessons did for me is helping me make a resume which in turn helped me get my first job”. Everyone that was interviewed agreed that the program had potential but that it was “lackluster” as Hagen said, and can be easily fixed with more realistic lessons and less lecturing

Most of the student opinions on the program range from neutral to completely hating it. Tahoma High School junior, Henry Shinas even went as far as saying “[Expletive] the future ready program”. Shinas seems to have strong views on it but when asked why, he didn’t go much in depth about it.

Senior tend to have different views on the Future Ready Program because they’re on their last year of high school and really have to think about what they want to do when they graduate. Tahoma High School senior, Peyton Turner seems to despise the Future Ready Program. He believes that “none of the future ready lessons really help us when it’s a new lesson every week instead of just focusing on a real life skill and learning it”. He mentions that he understands the intentions of the program and that they are trying to do good things but that it just doesn’t appeal to students.

A lot of the problems with the program is that it can easily appeal to kids more when it doesn’t and that they lack realistic lessons, with some minor changes it can be a great thing for students thinking about their futures.