Speed Bumps or Concrete Mountains?

as cars bottom out, does Tahoma need to change the height of its speed bumps?

Eudean Hiatt, Staff

Slowly climbing the behemoth mountain that Tahoma High School calls a speed bump, sliding frame, and oil pan just to get to class.

I had got around to asking different Tahoma High School students and staff questions about how they feel about the speed bumps and how they are being affected.

Fellow Senior Tyler Bommarito at Tahoma High School had told what he thought about the so-called speed bumps. I started off by asking him what kind of car he drove, to get a feeling about how it would ride over the speed bumps. He had told me “A 1994 Miata”. I knew just from my knowledge of miatas that it’s a problem for him. I then asked him if his car had ever scraped on the speed bumps, he had said “Mostly on the frame, I hope. Bommarito then told me how he has to go over the speed bumps sideways so he doesn’t scrape as bad. Sometimes he has to sit at the speed bump for minutes waiting for someone to let him in.

After listening to what Mr. Bommarito had to say, we tried talking to Mrs. Weihe. For two days of going to her office, she was never there in the morning. So we compensated interviewing her with interviewing Mr. Todd. At first, I didn’t think that I was going to get the information that I wanted from him, but I was wrong. The first thing that he had shown us, was a paper from the paving company saying that all the speed bumps follow the city’s regulations. Todd then told us they sent them this letter because of the number of parents and students complaining about the speed bumps. Mr.Todd also told us how Mr. Duty had stood back watching students drive over the speed bump and none of them had problems. Todd also said how if your car is to low for the speed bumps then you should probably just park in the lower lot.

Another fellow senior Isaiha Price also had something to say about the speed bumps. When coming in to talk to Mr. Price his car was in our school’s auto shop on the alignment rack. Mr. Price was very excited to express his feelings about the new speed bumps. The first question we had for him was, “What kind of car do you drive?” Mr. Price responded with a “1990 Mazda Miata NA.” These cars are notorious for how low they are but are sought after for their amazing handling. The real question that made him want to speak his voice is “ Are the speedbumps an inconvenience?” Mr. Price responded with (…they have almost made me late for work, giving me 10 minutes to get ready and eat something beforehand.” For some students that start work around 2:45 pm, the speed bumps can get into the way, for them being well prepared for the second part of their day.

Listening to people affected by the speed bumps, then hearing the evidence behind the speed bumps, really brings out the truth behind them. Being shown the regulations for speed bumps and the measurements given to the school, it just shows you gotta drive slowly.