What Happened After the 737 Max Was Grounded

Sophie Anselmo, Staff

Since the two shocking crashes of the Ethiopian Airlines and Lion Air, 737 Max jet has been grounded across the globe. Total costs reached billions of dollars, as there was matters such as the families of the deceased, loss of profits in the quarter, and the backlog consisting of over 5,600 commercial planes. The overall cause of the crashes were believed to be the plane’s reliance on only one sensor. The claims of Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg oppose this however, stating that rather than a malfunctioning system it was the pilots not following the proper safety procedures to operate the plane.

Boeing vowed to gain back the public’s trust, along with airliners who bought 737s. The company has since been working hard to improve any software flaws in the Max. Despite these efforts, many customers and fliers are now fearful of using the Max jet. According to the article“Fliers plan to avoid Boeing 737 Max jets for a year or more, Barclays survey concludes,” it states “In a survey of 1,765 fliers conducted by [the] Barclays Investment Bank, 44 percent of respondents said they would wait a year or more before flying the 737 Max…” Barclays is an investment bank mostly situated in London. Other speculations have risen as well, with Boeing’s seeming refusal to take responsibility for the problems involved with the Max. The possibility of incomplete plane operation information that was given to the pilots operating the airplanes also exists. Boeing, however, has claimed multiple times that the company provides the appropriate flight procedures for all airline pilots to utilize.

As of now, Boeing is working to improve the 737 Max to fly without any doubts of safety or the capabilities of the flight system. This also involves placement under light scrutiny from the Federal Aviation Administration, simply monitoring the process of the testing conducted by the engineers. This impacts travel, as most of the public distrusts the 737 Max, and the company is situated in Seattle. Students that travel over the summer may have less options to book flights, as Southwest Airlines was one of Boeing’s many customers. Whether the 737 Max flies again or remains grounded depends on the public’s opinion.