How bad is vaping?

the health impact is up for debate, but is vaping the new alternative to cigarettes?

Dylan Caldwell and Peyton Boothe

Many teens have at one time or another tried vaping, most don’t realize that the health risks associated with it are real. Vaping has blown up in the last few years, initially to help people quit smoking, but has since turned into a way to pass time among teens.

While most students know the health risks relating to vaping such as popcorn lung and asthma, many ignore these and continue to vape. But most vape users say that they like to relieve stress and stay focused in class to be able to do their work.

Many students that vape would use the argument that it is better than cigarettes. Sandy Markus, Tahoma school nurse said, “I don’t see one as better than the other, the damage from both is unrepairable and that it can become a reality among any user of either product.”

A study done by The National Institute on Drug Administration found that 30.7% of teen vapers start smoking within 6 months of vaping, while only 8.1% of non-users will start smoking in the 6 months. Vaping seems to be a gateway to smoking for some users.

A student that wishes to remain anonymous said that they see no problem with vaping and that the student vapes a few times a week.

Another student who wishes to remain anonymous, Student 2, said,  “I’ve tried it a few times, it’s just not for me.” Student 2 also said they have nothing against vaping, but thinks that there are better things to spend money and time on.

While it is true that vaping may cause less harm to the user’s body, it still causes some damage. And having only been seriously on the market for less than a decade, long-term usage data is tough to come by.

Vaping does not have as many toxins as cigarettes, but it still has some. It is a better alternative to smoking cigarettes but it isn’t a good habit to pick up, it should only be used to help someone quit smoking. The reality of vaping is that there are health risks associated with it. Many students have heard of these risks but most choose to ignore them anyway. A lot of these students have the mindset that it won’t happen to them simply because they don’t know anyone with these problems.

Most likely they know people who are developing these health conditions or are even developing them themselves, only time will tell the real risks of these products.