Should Cursive Be Taught In Schools?

Miranda Marquardt, Staff

Cursive has been used for writing for many many years and has been taught in schools for a long time up until now. Now very few schools are teaching cursive and it’s started a big question, should cursive be taught in schools?

People’s opinions vary when it comes to if cursive should be taught in schools or not. Some people say yes, it should, to keep the tradition alive and to teach kids to write signatures. Others argue that it’s not useful and it would be a waste of time, time that could be used for learning stuff that could be more useful. And others argue that it should be the parents choice if they want to teach their child cursive on their own outside of school.

10 students who go to Tahoma High School were asked if they knew cursive and the vote was 50, 50, five knew cursive and five didn’t.

Then the same students were asked if they thought it should be taught in schools, 7 of the 10 thought it shouldn’t be taught in schools, all said that it isn’t useful anymore.

But 3 out of the ten said it should be taught and all there opinions were different, Freshman Kaylee Thilbert said, “it’s more formal and professional.” She believes that cursive is more formal than print and should be taught so that they could know how to use it in professional instances.

Aviahna Harrell also a freshman said, “It will help people who are bad at writing in font and learning cursive it can be easier for them.” since cursive flows together it may be easier to write for some people rather than print.

And the last person, Sophomore Emily Miller said this, “It should be taught but not mandatory.” meaning that cursive should be taught as an elective class so it could be optional if the student wants to learn it or not.

The world is changing and many things are being left behind in the past, and cursive may be one of those things. Should cursive be taught in schools? That question still remains unanswered.