How Many People Actually Care About Sports?

with sports becoming increasingly polarizing, how much do we pay attention to them?

Image credited to: Metricon Stadium

Image credited to: Metricon Stadium

Odalys Amador, Staff

For decades, Americans have slipped into a tradition of falling on polar sides of whether they care about professional sports or not.

This can include baseball, basketball, boxing, etc. But there is a much more ready example of how completely opposite people feel about sports: football.

Raging fans stay up-to-date on games, wear their favorite players’ jerseys, cancel plans to watch a game of their favorite teams and allow sports to be a regular conversation in their everyday life. They stay obsessed, while others judge and strongly dislike even the mention of football because of how “annoying” or repetitive it may sound to them, they simply can’t understand or tolerate the fans. But on a more general note, who actually cares about these professional sports?

A form was given to three student classes, surveying them on whether they enjoyed or played sports. 43.4% of those who took the poll voted they enjoyed watching sports, 39.6% of the takers voted they “somewhat” enjoyed it, while 17% strongly voted that they do not like watching professional sports. Sophomore Jayda Macatangay explained her interest in watching football, claiming it’s “entertaining, … [and good to] follow up on.” Many other poll-takers agreed, explaining with roughly the same reasons, calling it “entertaining”, “fun to watch”, “interesting”, etc. Some “yes” voters explained saying it was because they were raised watching them, or simply because of the energy their fanbase brings to the table.

Others, however, strongly disagree with how they feel energy-wise about watching sports, calling the sport “boring,” a waste of time, or simply saying they don’t have the time to watch or be interested. Some also explain that aside from simply not being drawn to the sport, they also just didn’t understand how the games were played or what rules there were, so they found no point in watching them. An anonymous “yes” voter explained their lack of interest in the sport, saying, “I don’t usually have the time to watch the games and professional sports never interested me personally.”

Overall, students seem to have pretty strong opinions about whether or not they enjoy professional sports. Sports fans will rave on and scream about their teams, bars have adults screaming and cheering, supporting their teams from afar, and those who don’t care for it will just dread the occasional eavesdropping of the conversations and judge those who care about sports at all.