The Best Way To Get Involved With Your School

Why Everyone Should Join A Club

Ella Wanless, Staff

As students, we’re constantly being told to get involved with school activities, but when there are so many clubs, sports, dances, and events to choose from, it can be overwhelming for someone with limited time and resources. You may find yourself wondering “which way to get involved with my school is the most worth doing?” And many students find the answer to that question in clubs.

Clubs are often the most accessible option. Tahoma offers a wide variety of clubs to choose from, many of them only meeting once a week during power hour. One of these is World Awareness Club. Sophomore Charlie Hartman, a founder of the club said, “I just enjoy the fact that we’re creating awareness for conflicts that aren’t just at Tahoma, instead it’s around the world.”

World Awareness Club is free to join and doesn’t require much of a time commitment,  but Charlie also does Drama, which requires students to pay a $75.00 participation fee and rehearse almost every weeknight. About this rehearsal schedule, she said, “I enjoy it so much that it’s not really a sacrifice, but it is definitely challenging with the AP classes that I’m taking to balance schoolwork, work, and drama,”.

Sports teams, like clubs, meet regularly and have plenty of variety in the specific sports they offer. However, one major difference is that only a handful of clubs require students to attend meetings more than once a week, and almost all sports require a fairly large time commitment. Freshman Olivia Cook, a member of the swim team, said that though she dislikes having to attend practices five days a week, she still enjoys being a part of the team because “the people are all really great, and I’m good at the sport”.    

When you consider all the factors that contribute to a student’s decision to take part in a school activity, clubs are almost always the best option. You often don’t have to pay anything at all or spend more than half an hour each week at meetings, and there are enough clubs that everyone can find something they’re interested in. So if you’re in the market for a school activity, clubs might be the perfect fit.