Boys Tennis

The boys tennis team is causing a racquet!

Sidney Gindroz, Writer

Sam Hanson, a Junior at Tahoma high school, showed off his killer serve.
Senior Nick Bennett played a hard match, luckily his strong serve worked to his advantage.

Are you looking to join a spring sport? Do you enjoy being apart of a team, but still relying on yourself to win? Do you want to feel rewarded when you win a tough match? If you could answer “yes” to one or more of those questions, then you may consider joining the tennis team.

The season starts in late February and goes on until early April. During a match, whether your school wins or loses depends on the whole team, but each individual match depends on individual players. If you are playing singles, it’s just you and the player from the opposing school. With doubles, you have a partner to play with. Nick Bennett, a senior at Tahoma High School, says that when you win a tough match, “It’s very rewarding, you know? It’s nice to put in that effort when you practice every day and you play a hard match and you win”. Tennis is different from most sports, it’s like an individual sport and a team sport at the same time.

Most of the players who join the tennis team have played tennis before, but there are always some who are new to the sport. Bennett’s advice for beginners is, “listen to the coaches, they know what they’re talking about. And then just practice and keep practicing”. Some of the other players also had similar advice for newbies. Jonathan Zosel said, “Without practicing you won’t get better. [And] playing against people is the best way, even if they’re going to beat you 6-0 6-0, still just playing is good.” Coach Mike had similar advice as the two players. He said, “Get out and play, go out and hit. The more you get out there and hit, the better you get”.

The Tahoma High School tennis team is open to anyone, from freshman to seniors, from beginners or long-time players, everyone is welcome. Sign-ups open in February for Girls Tennis and next August for Boys.