A seasonal talent

Tahoma volleyball dominates another year

Rachel Davis, Writer

Here at Tahoma High School, there have been impressive sports teams for years. However, the one program that seems to be prominent statewide is the Tahoma volleyball team. Every August, Tahoma gains loads of incoming talent between all grades. This year, the varsity team is composed of 14 girls and coached by Sara Russell and Maria Bahlenhorst. With an impressive season record of 12-1, the team has also won the Sterling Classic Tournament as well as the Linda Sheridan Classic held in Spokane, Washington. Ranked in the top ten for Washington Class 4A Volleyball Standings, of the looks of it the team will continue to have a good post-season.

To get an inside look on the varsity team, we interviewed the varsity freshman outside and middle hitter, Delaney Speer to see how the program has welcomed her. She believes the reason why Tahoma volleyball reaches such success is quite simply because of how “We have a lot of girls that work well together.” But, with such raw talent and competition present, it can be difficult to maintain energy within practice as well as games. To encourage teammates, Speer uses her signature phrase to get the team excited; “I cheer really loud and say ‘Let’s go baby!’” As simple as it sounds, Speer’s energy is exactly the thing that the team may need to get their spirits up.

As most of the girls are taking advanced classes in the morning, then practicing or playing volleyball in intense conditions in the afternoon, it can easily become rough to balance both school and volleyball. Kaia Garcia, the junior defensive specialist and the co-captain of the team understands that school and volleyball can be difficult to manage. Garcia has been playing volleyball since elementary school and has found that the best way to succeed in both activities is effective time management. 

“Most of the time I use the whole evening on homework. I avoid saving homework for games because the schedule is way to packed,” said Garcia. Garcia has always been a determined player, both on and off the court. But, her drive to make those around her better embodies the Tahoma Volleyball program and contributes to their success.

As for one of the head coaches, Mrs. Russell, she has to manage both school and volleyball too. She explains, “We just have really solid girls in all aspects of their lives. I think that they all care about academics, as well as support from family and friends.” Working with 14 teenage girls sure can be a struggle sometimes, but because of Mrs. Russell’s background with being a teacher, as well as her patience, it gives her the ability to maintain “peace” within the team.

Tahoma Volleyball only has more achievements ahead of them. Good luck to the Varsity team for the post-season, and congratulations to both the junior varsity and c-team for an overall amazing season.