How to Stay on Top of Your Homework & Not be Overwhelmed

tips and tricks to keep from getting buried in homework

Genevieve Antonetty, writer

Many Tahoma students complain about how much homework they are given by their teachers, and how it’s hard to keep up with all of it. Still, for the students who feel they are falling behind, there are many things you could do to stay on top of your homework without becoming overwhelmed or stressed.

For example, a sophomore student from Tahoma High School, Caroline Quevedo, talked about some ways that help her to stay focused and ahead of the game. Quevedo shares, “looking ahead if you know you’re going to have a busy weekend…”. To ensure that you are planning ahead and doing your homework the day it’s assigned can help with getting out of the bad habit of procrastination, it also gives you more free time to calm down and relieve stress. This can also help so that your homework doesn’t overlap causing a long night for homework.

Another student from Tahoma High school, Carmen Scroggins, talks about how her extracurriculars take up a lot of her time which is why it’s difficult to get homework done. With all of the extracurriculars Scroggins is doing, it can make it hard to get homework done. Scroggins shares a few techniques she uses in order to stay on top of her homework, she says to, “Hide your phone from yourself, put it in a drawer in a different room.” Scroggins makes a good point that by putting any distractions away from where you can see them, you can stay more focused on the task at hand instead of being distracted by a text message, notification, music, or any other temptations.

While talking to a Tahoma counselor, Mrs. Wright, she gave some great techniques that she tells her students to do in order to stay organized, “To have a blue backpack and a gold backpack, not literally those colors, but one that is specific to the classes you are attending to on blue days and gold days.” Using this technique can help students remember what classes they had that day and the homework they need to get done for those classes. This helps students stay organized day by day by not getting their notebooks mixed up between the days. Another technique that Mrs.Wright says to use is, “Some students have trouble turning things in… so if you have a folder, one side is a to be done and the other side is completed.” This is a great organizational tool for students to use because it assists them with remembering which classes they still need to do homework in, and which classes they have homework that still needs to be turned in.  

These techniques will help you be on a better road to success by keeping you less stressed and a more organized student. Use these strategies, and homework will be a lot easier to remember to do and get done on time. However, like Mrs. Wright says, procrastinating is on the student not on the task at hand, so it’s up to you on how successful you want to be.