Suicide Prevention

Amy Carpenter, Media Editor

When you think of death, you hardly think about it being self inflicted, suicide is a very serious topic and many overlook the symptoms of it. Many do care about this issue as seen on the posters displayed around the school that deliver a message to those who are feeling suicidal, everyone wants to help these people but often don’t know where to begin.

People typically think about suicide only when it directly affects them but it’s important to look at the bigger picture of the issue. Suicide is the 10th leading cause of America, close to 45,000 people commit suicide every year. The main reason why people commit suicide is depression, which can often go unnoticed. A few signs include fatigue, withdrawal from normal activities, and even distancing themselves from others. Another reason could be a feeling of hopelessness, many depressed people feel as if they have a lack of purpose and  of feeling loved. In order to help those who are hurting, we can listen to them, check on how they’re doing, and help them understand whatever they’re going through is temporary.

Whether you’re working to help a friend through a rough patch or someone struggling with suicidal thoughts, it’s important to remember that even though being a teenager may be challenging it can helpful to look beyond your situation and take note of the bright and beautiful things happening in the world. Even if you can’t see something good in your current situation there’s always something outside of your bubble. As Robin Williams said, “if your depressed, reach out to someone. And remember, suicide is a permanent solution, to a temporary problem.” 

Information for struggling students:

information from King County Public Health

Suicide Prevention.pdf

• The Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255.
  • Teen Link, which offers peer counseling from teens who are trained in crisis intervention. Teen Link is available from 6pm to 10pm by calling 206-461-4922.
  • Crisis Text Line: Text START to 741741 from anywhere in the US, anytime, about any type of crisis. A live, trained crisis counselor receives the text and responds quickly.