Chasing the Title

Halle Dagley, Staff

Memorial Day weekend– a weekend of camping, sunshine, fun, and–running? For 15 plus Tahoma athletes who competed in this year’s WIAA state track meet at Mount Tahoma Stadium this past weekend, that’s exactly what it entailed. For their second year in a row now, Tahoma’s girls track team walked away from the meet as 4A state champions, triumphing with a tremendous 42 point lead over the next closest second place team. The boys team also made an honorable appearance rounding out the top 10 teams with a 9th place finish.

And though it’s no doubt that Tahoma made a name for itself on the scoreboard, it was the 18 individual athletes who qualified and competed in a combined 27 total events who were the real stars of the show. Junior Aliya Wilson took home the first place title in both the 100 and 200 meter events individually, as well the 4×100 meter relay with the help of her teammates sophomore Alaina Brady, junior Alisha Wilson, and freshman Adaji Osaro-Igwe. Teammates Alisha Wilson and Alaina Brady also took first in their individual events, as well as breaking the current Tahoma record, Brady running a 14.16, a personal record in the 100 meter hurdles and Wilson jumping a 19-02 also a personal record in long jump. Senior Breanna Glover also broke Tahoma’s current school record in the girl’s mile, with her new personal record of 4:59.43, placing her 7th overall.

It wasn’t only the girls taking home the titles however, junior Zachary Klobutcher also took home the first place 4A title in pole vault, vaulting 15-00.00 and senior Robert Say took home a 4th place finish in long jump with a jump of 22-07.50.

Rounding out six individual first place finishes and a total of four broken school records, Tahoma’s athletes had a Memorial Day weekend to remember.