Feminist or Not?

The+Womens+March+on+January+21st.+

cnn.com

The Women’s March on January 21st.

Hannah Molnar, Staff

Feminists have either become your best friend or worst enemy. As sexual harassment and assault allegations rolled out in politics and on the red carpet, women across the nation and the world have held their signs high on the streets of major cities. 

Tahoma students shared their own opinion on whether they thought the renewed importance of feminism was a step in the right direction or if they’d rather feminists took a break from bra-burning.

Through a survey of approximately sixty Tahoma students from all grade levels, the verdict is in on what your classmates think about feminism. On a small sheet of paper, students were asked to circle their gender and a series of multiple choice questions. While preparing to circle his answer for whether he identified as a feminist or not, one male student took the liberty of adding “heck” in front of the typed “No” answer and then circling the phrase. This example is symbolic, if you will, of a large portion of the opinions of surveyed males at Tahoma High School as 46.4% believe that feminism advocates for women being placed above men, while 0% of females circled this option.

So, what is the definition of feminism? A quick google search defines feminism as “the advocacy of women’s rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.” 

To the 7% who answered that feminism meant choice for women, Emma Watson, a pioneer of the UN Women campaign HeforShe, also stated that “Feminism is about giving women choice.” The HeforShe campaign works to put men at the forefront of the fight to end gender inequality around the world. By informing men of their imperative involvement in the fight for equality and encouraging them to actively participate for justice, the HeforShe campaign believes women’s equality can be a reality.

A famous quote frequently on the signs of protestors at the 2017 Women’s March on President Trump’s inauguration day read, “When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.” This saying is relevant as 1 in 6 women have been a victim to an attempted or completed rape in the United States according to rainn.org, an organization that works to prevent sexual assault, counsel victims, and create policy change. Regardless of gender, anyone can experience sexual violence. According to the same source, 1 out of every 10 rape victims are male and 21% of transgender college students have been sexually assaulted. A google definition may describe feminism as for and about women, however, feminism can and should include the equality and safety of all marginalized people.

Male Tahoma students, you can be the greatest supporters in shrinking these statistics. And, if you are hoping for the marches and bra-burning to stop, all the more reason to hop on board! Gender equality is not just a women’s issue. So, no matter your gender, head to http://www.heforshe.org/en  and pledge your support to your peers!