Studying Tips

Studying+Tips

Sadaf Noori, Writer

Having eight classes isn’t always easy and is a main source of stress for a lot of the students at Tahoma High School. Because of this, I sought some of Tahoma’s most academically inclined students and compiled together a collection of tips. 

The first suggestion may seem like an obvious one… asking for help when needed. People would be surprised to know that the majority of struggling students refuse to ask for help from their peers and teachers. Asking for help doesn’t mean asking only  friends for help on a problem, but rather taking time out of the day and dedicating it to getting assistance. For instance, you can drop in during Power Hour or schedule a meeting before/after school with one of your teachers. If your teachers are busy, Tahoma also offers  a peer tutoring system that students can use during lunch, students can stop by the library and ask for more information. The important thing is making sure you get help when you don’t understand something so you don’t fall behind. 

The second tip is to complete your studying at least a few days prior to taking a test or exam. Cramming in all of your studying the night before a test is not only an ineffective strategy to memorize information, but also prevents you from asking questions that may be useful for the test. Spacing out your studying over the course of a few days puts less stress on your brain and gives you time to ask for help on difficult concepts that you still struggle with. 

The third tip is to take study breaks and reward yourself. Self discipline is hard when studying, but students find that only allowing themselves a few minutes to check their devices after completing an assignment works wonders. Giving yourself that reward after completing a task can serve as motivation and also push you to complete that task even faster. If you struggle with taking study breaks too long or frequently, you can try the Pomodoro method. This method includes setting a 25 minute timer, and working during that time. After that, set a five minute timer and use those five minutes as a break. This process is ideally repeated four times but you can repeat as many times as you feel needed. The key is to make sure you are utilizing this time effectively and not cutting short your study time or lengthening your break time. 

The final study tip is to change your studying atmosphere. Sometimes a small change in scenery is helpful when trying to study. I personally find it much harder to study for big tests or complete larger assignments in my own home because it’s easy to get distracted. What I recommend is going to a library or coffee shop and working there. Physically working in an environment that makes me feel productive helps me accomplish more. You are also less likely to fall asleep in a different environment, which I found to be a problem for me when studying. 

I hope that you will keep some of these suggestions in mind and I hope they help you in some way!