Snacks in Students’ Backpacks

Jayda Macatangay and Izzi Hill

7 hours a day, 5 times a week. At Tahoma High School, sometimes snacks are what keeps students going through the day. From freshman to seniors, there are a variety of snacks found in students’ backpacks.

In freshman Akea Causing’s backpack, he says you can find “anything from Z-Bars to protein shakes”. Causing most enjoys these snacks during his 4th and 8th period as a way to power through his end of the day hunger. Along with Z-Bars and protein shakes, Causing also includes that his favorite snack from Tahoma is, “red velvet cookies from the cafeteria.” Another typical snack you will find at Tahoma is carried by sophomore Ethan Klobutcher: Goldfish. Klobutcher added that “Goldfish have always been my go-to snack.” Considering the generic, everyday snacks that some Tahoma students carry, there have definitely been some snacks that are questionably different among students.

Although there are considerations of what a ‘normal’ snack is for Tahoma students, there are definitely some out-of-the-norm snacks around our school. Klobutcher recalled a time when he saw someone bring an unlikely snack at Tahoma He talked about how fellow sophomore Jacob Noonan “…brought a whole baked potato to school one time”. Klobutcher cracked up, elaborating that the baked potato Noonan had brought to school was filled with bacon bits and cheese, wrapped up in tin foil and hidden in his jacket. Along with Noonan’s potato, Junior Keila Jellings has also contributed to unlikely snacks at Tahoma, describing the time she once kept a whole dried fish in her backpack to eat during class. “I once brought a prepackaged dried fish to school in my lunch. For me, it’s a pretty normal snack.”

Favorite snacks offered at school vary, from Jelling’s personal favorite of Oven Baked Hot Cheetos found in the vending machines and Tahoma’s  Student Store, to Causing’s love for the cafeteria’s red velvet cookies. Overall, students are likely to sneak into their backpack for their favorite schooltime treats. From baked potatoes to cookies, or even dried fish, Tahoma students carry a variety of universal snacks to keep them fueled throughout our school days.