Learning how to save lives

In sports medicine you learn how to preform CPR and first aid.

Students in sports medicine learn how to preform CPR and first aid.

Imagine knowing how to do CPR, use an AED, or even how to treat an injury for someone that is in need in a serious and critical situation.

Well, at our wonderful Tahoma High School there are sports medicine classes that are offered to anyone, in any grade. This class teaches you amazing and important life skills that can benefit you in real life situations. There are three different classes: Sports Med 1, Sports Med 2 & Sports Med 3. Sports Med 1 is a semester  class offered that covers a few different topics. For starters, you begin by learning the skeletal and muscular system. Then, you learn about CPR and are given the opportunity to get certified. You will learn how to give CPR on an infant, child and adult. In sports med 2, you spend the first semester reviewing the skeletal and muscular systems but in more detail including CPR. Second semester is focused on major organs and body parts, such as the heart and knee.

Senior, Bry Rodgers says sports medicine is a lot of fun and it can benefit people in real life situations. For example, “We learn CPR and first aid. It’s beneficial because you get to help people.” Rodgers also shared her thoughts on whether sports medicine should be a required class. She says “It shouldn’t be required but some of the ideas should be implemented in the freshman health class.” Students Should have the skills to help someone who was unresponsive and they should apply units about prevention of common diseases such as diabetes and stroke.

Tahoma Sophomore and athlete Olivia Roach says “ My time in sports medicine has taught me so much about how to prevent and deal with injuries being an athlete and constantly getting hurt.” Being taught how to prevent injuries and deal with them can help you and your family out a lot especially with money, because if you yourself know how you can keep an injury under control successfully they won’t have to pay all that money for a doctor or specialist.

Skeleton we use to help us study the skeletal system.

Want more information? Bry Rodgers and Mrs. Lombino share some helpful tips for those interested in taking sports med but don’t know what to expect. Bry says “there is a lot of note taking and memorizing (of anatomy.)” Mrs. Lombino talks about some of the main topics covered in each class. “Sports Med 1 is all intro, you cover legal liability, medical terminology, and basic overview of the skeletal, muscular and sensory systems. Mrs. Lombino says this class is worth taking if you are interested in the healthcare field. Sports med 2 builds on topics covered in sports med 1 and expands in units like cardiovascular and nervous systems. As well as, learning about body parts in detail such as the knee, ankle and shoulder. In Sports med 3, you continue to build your foundation while “exploring more injuries and evaluation and treatment of those injuries.”

One of our awesome sports medicine teachers Mr.Torrel