New Age Of Learning: Paper Or Computer Work?

Computer displays student assignment. Photo by Matthew Soto.

Matthew Soto, Staff

Over the last decade, Tahoma has been progressively becoming more technological in the classroom, and teachers and students have their own opinions on how they like the changes. Some students may find that taking out paper when they get home is easier to bring themselves to do than log onto a computer, and others enjoy the convenience of having everything they need on Google Classroom. What are students reasons for both of these instances?

17-year-old senior, Jonas Olonovas said without hesitation that he prefers doing work on a computer more than on paper and that roughly 60-70% of all of the work he receives is on a document or program. When asked when paperwork would be the preferred option, he said he’d ‘’rather read a book on paper than on a computer.’’ If he could only use one method throughout the year, he answered ‘’probably online,’’ although he did admit to getting distracted for roughly 15-20 minutes per class period. While that all regards to in-the-classroom work, Jonas said that ‘’it’s easier to get away with paperwork’’ when having to finish homework last minute.

Garrett Burns, an 18-year-old senior, told Tahoma News that if an assignment requires ‘’a lot of writing,’’ he would prefer a computer, and that about 40% of assignments given to him are on a computer. He said it is ‘’probably easier to log on a laptop because [he] couldn’t find [his] pre-test’’ that morning when it comes to doing homework. When asked which one method he would prefer for the entire year, he answered with ‘’I guess I’d just do computer work,’’ with only 10 minutes of being distracted per class.

Mrs. Patrick, a teacher of a variety of subjects such as business law, accounting and in past years, English, said that out of her seven classes, six of them are completely computer-based, and one is only 75% computer based. “Sharing a document is really simple,’’ she said when asked how she prefers to give assignments but said that paper is better when she wants her students ‘’to draw something or show connections between things.’’ When she grades, she would rather grade paper, because she doesn’t have to ‘’go through individually and open and close documents instead of just move papers (sic).’’ If she had to assign solely paper or solely computer work, she would choose ‘’computers, without a doubt,’’ but also stated she is ‘’all the time seeing games pop up or they’re listening to music, or something’s got them going.’’

As easy as it is to get off task while handling a computer, people find it to be the quicker and smarter way to learn in most areas. No method has been created that is flawless and there probably won’t be one, but as of now, students and teachers agree that online assignments are less of a struggle to finish their work.